Sunday, August 26, 2007

Trading Parallels





TRADING PARALLELS


Since becoming immersed in the world of trading I am constantly finding parallels between other aspects of my life to the trading world. I have often thought that dancing is a lot like trading. So is art. Tennis. Real estate….the list goes on.

In the dojo where I learn and practice Taiko drumming, hang four framed Japanese characters with a sentence in English below each one. Although I look at these every week, I never related it to trading but for some reason last week something clicked in my mind. I realized that the way the dojo is run reminds me a lot of this wonderful trading community that many of us have come to call Home.

Here is what the four plaques say:

Manners, Harmony, Commitment,
Language and Unity of Spirit

How we conduct ourselves in the dojo and online in our trading rooms and blogs is basically the same. We are all here for the same reason. We are all committed to becoming the best traders (drummers) we can be. Respect for the dojo (blog); respect for each other.

Discipline of Body Strength,
Power & Stamina

If we do not take care of ourselves physically we will not have the mental energy and psychological fortitude necessary to be successful. Drumming is hard work. So is trading.

Musical skills, Artistic Expression & Rhythm
You’ve heard it said many times that technical analysis is an art. Creating the perfect trade is an expression of that art. Being in tune with the rhythm of the markets will allow that art to flourish and become the masterpiece you envision.

Discipline of Mind, Self Control and Spirit
This last one is for me the most important. Without the discipline and self control to plan your trades and trade your plan, you will not be successful. The spirit of the Taiko drummer is a warrior’s spirit. The spirit of a trader is much the same.

Attitude is everything.

4 comments:

2020 said...

I have to put my exclamation point on this also - Attitude is everything! I enjoy your posts.

Jim

Doji Girl said...

Thank you Jim! Glad to know someone else is reading this. Perhaps that will inspire me to post more often. It's too bad life interferes with my blogging!

Lisa said...

I love your inspirational pictures. I'm always looking for things to inspire me and remind me of what to focus on.

Tony Chai said...

Hi :

Nice Blog.

Regards,

Tony Chai